With the Champions League Final round the corner we decided to look a bit closer into the two finalists and their volatile rivalry…
For the second time in three years the UEFA Champions League final will have added spice as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid face off in the Italian cauldron that is the San Siro, Milan. Two years ago the teams met in Portugal and it was the first final involving two clubs from the same city in European Cup history. That final saw Atletico lead 1-0 deep into added time before an equalizer from Real acted as a catalyst for a 4-1 romping in extra time and Real’s tenth European Cup – ‘La Decima’.
With so much to play for here’s 10 must know number-facts before the game…
1. This is the SIXTH one-country UEFA Champions League final with Madrid having won two of the previous five (vs Valencia in 2000 and vs Atletico in 2014)
2. This will be Real’s FOURTEENTH cup Eurpopean Cup Final compared to Atletico’s THIRD attempt
3. If Atletico were to win they would be the TWENTY-THIRD club to lift the European Cup
4. The sides have met in 202 league, Spanish Cup and Spanish Super Cup games, with 102 Madrid wins, 51 for Atlético and 49 draws. Atlético, however, are unbeaten in eight domestic games against their local rivals since losing the 2014 UEFA Champions League final, recording five wins and three draws
5. Zinédine Zidane, who scored Madrid's winner in the TWO THOUSAND AND TWO final, could become the seventh man to win the European Cup as both player and coach
6. Ronaldo has scored SIXTEEN goals in this season's UEFA Champions League, one short of his own record for a European Cup campaign, set in 2013/14
7. Madrid's record in Europe against Spanish clubs is W-TEN D-FIVE L-THREE. They are unbeaten in their last five such matches, since a 2-0 home loss against Barcelona in the 2010/11 semi-final first leg
8. Atlético have W-SEVEN and only L-THREE of their 13 other European games against Spanish sides.
9. Simeone could become only the THIRD non-European coach to win the European Cup
10. Zidane and Simeone crossed paths as players EIGHT times during their careers when Zidane played for Juventus and Simeone represented Internazionale Milano and SS Lazio. Simeone's record is W-4, D-2 & L-2.
Yep, there’s our must know number-facts for the European Champions League Final... why not come support your team with us at Zoo Bar with all the action live from the San Siro.
We will also be showing games from the Euro 2016 Championship at some of our venues… For more information click here.